February 25, 2013

Do Hard Things

I was sick for a few days this past week but feeling better.  However, #4 Boy and #6 Boy both threw up last night.  As I was driving #3 Girl to school this afternoon she was telling me, "It's hard not feeling well and taking care of lot of little children."  (I am sure she was quoting something I must have said over the last few days).  I don't want my children to get the wrong impression.  It is hard, but it is worth it.  As I was telling the children how I wouldn't want to be doing anything else beside being their mother, I also included that 'I can do hard things' and so can each of them.  #4 Boy decided to share one of his stories.

#4 Boy's story:  I was at the bunk bed ladder but didn't want to climb it.  Dad was there and he held onto it.  He had me get on the first step.  He then said, "go up another step"... no, he didn't say that, but he wanted me to get up high enough that I could see into his eyes.  I climbed the ladder.  Daddy said he was strong and could hold the ladder.  
I love that #4 Boy was really thinking about what I was telling him.  That we can do hard things.  I love that he was able to think of a time that he was able to do something that was hard for him and that with his father's help he was able to climb the ladder.

I believe this could be a metaphor for life.  We are often scared to climb the ladder, even if we have taken that first step before, the ladder seems high and hard to climb.   Heavenly Father is there.  He doesn't climb the ladder for us, it is something we must do. He is holding the ladder.  He is strong.  He is watching over us.  He is protecting us.  He is encouraging us.  With His encouragement and the comfort of knowing that He is there, we are able to climb the ladder one step at a time.  We are able to go up each step until we are able to see into His eyes. 

No comments :

Post a Comment