May 11, 2014

Putting Others First

Last night, I went with #4 Boy to his T-ball game.  He was looking like he needed to go to the bathroom but when I asked them just before heading out on the field he told me he didn't need to.  Then as they came in to bat their final time he told me, "Mom, I need to go to the bathroom."  So, I took his hand and ran him to the only outhouse.  Someone had stepped in about the time that we got there.  So, #4 Boy waited nicely.  As we were waiting, a little boy who looked to be about 2 walked up with his mom.  My first thought was, "maybe we should let this little boy go first" then I thought, "#4 Boy is still young and has been needing to go for a while.  He is also missing his game" then "what really matters?!"  As my mind was racing through trying to justify having #4 Boy go first I feel a little tug on my sleeve.  I bend down and#4 Boy  whispers, "Mom, should I let that little boy go first?"  It was in that moment I realized all my same thoughts were probably going through #4 Boy's mind also and I knew what was most important, "that would be nice but you decide." As the girl stepped out of the bathroom #4 Boy looked at it and back at the little boy and then up to me with eyes that said, "Let him go first."  So, I spoke for him to the other mother, "My son was wondering if your boy would like to go first."  The mother was grateful as she stepped into the restroom with her son and thanked us on their way out.  As we stepped back onto the baseball field the last batter from his team had just hit the ball and they were running the bases in.  I told #4 Boy, "oh, looks like we just missed it." But, the assistant coach noticed and had #4 Boy bat.  He hit it on the second pitch and ran all the bases and home.  But more importantly then him hitting that ball was the choice he made while waiting for the restroom.  That moment made me proud!

No comments :

Post a Comment