May 5, 2014

Hiking up to Bonneville Shoreline

My sister invited us to join her on a hike.  Our kids had Spring Break.  We were all able to fit in Staypuft (our van, yes, EVERY sit was full!) and had an enjoyable ride to the base of the mountain (Orsen Smith Trailhead).  Our hike was mostly up the mountain to the Bonneville Shoreline (we went .93 miles one way and turned around and came back down).
The Crew after the hike
They had fun climbing the rock at the trailhead

The older kids were pretty fast and spent most of the time ahead of us.  #5 Boy was worried about animals and didn't want to go on the hike to start with.  My sister bribed him and he ended up being happy.  Later in the hike he was talking to a cousin and said, "I like..." then looked at me, "Mom, what is this?"  I replied, "Hiking."  He turned back to his cousin and said, "I like hiking!"

Cousin was a good helper wanting to help #5 Boy and #6 Boy

I carried  #7 Boy in the pack up the mountain but #6 Boy was done by the turn around point so he got the pack and #7 Boy got my arms.

Cousin and #6 Boy hiked together a lot holding hands

Part way up where the service road is.  I love the trail of kids heading up.

Cousin and #5 Boy hiking up.  They did a great job.

The kids loved finding big rocks to take pictures on

#5 Boy and cousin hiking together.

#6 Boy made it the whole way up...most of the time he insisted on carrying his water pack but part of the time he let me strap it to my carrier and he would still drink out of it.

#6 Boy liked drinking a lot of the time he hiked, making him even a little slower

#5 Boy

#4 Boy holding a big stick with the other kids near

#6 Boy liked going at his own pace but it was too slow for the big kids

#5 Boy and cousin posing

#1 Girl with view of the valley below

#2 Boy

#34 Girl had her pack on backwards so she could get to her goldfish

She quickly switched it and made this face

#7 Boy and Mom hiking

The kids found a beetle under a rock during a break

#4 Boy

Along the shoreline trail

Another cute one of #6 Boy

#5 Boy

#6 Boy and #5 Boy and cousin climbing on the rock to pose since they saw the big kids doing it down the trail for their aunt.
I love the mountain view in this photo (that was the big kids posing for aunt)

#6 Boy had to have some help to get up on the rock and pose

The older kids climbing the rocks

Younger kids

Yes another BIG rock to climb

#5 Boy wanted to grab a snack instead of be in the photo.  He was getting hot.

This is my "selfie" with #6 Boy in the pack

Another one with more kids

The kids enjoyed playing hide-and-seek when we got back to the trail-head. 
#7 Boy was happy to be out of the pack and out of my arms.  He was crawling around playing on the cement.  My sister leaned down to give him a treat.  He opened his mouth and spit out a small rock.  He ate the goldfish for a minute but it ended on the the ground.  A moment later I noticed he was sucking on something.  I finger swiped and out came a snail!  YUCK!

So, to not end on a nasty note, after our hike we treated the kids to some ice cream.  It was a wonderful activity and great company.

No comments :

Post a Comment