August 30, 2011

To Be

In RS this week the focus was off of this conference talk, "What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to Be?" about the importance of "being" and not just knowing or doing.  It has gotten me thinking about how we have been asked to "BE" like Jesus.  We must come to know Him and do the things he does...and when we are knowing and doing all that we can then that is when we start to BE like Christ.  Often as I send the children off to school I ask them to make a friend, or be good, or learn a name.  However, today I felt like I should ask them what they can do to BE like Jesus.  I am interested to see what their answers are. I think I would like to focus a bit on characteristics of Christ and help the kids understand that as they DO the things that Christ has done that they can come to BE like Christ.  At RS on Sunday we also sang my favorite Children's Song from when I was growing up..."I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus."  I remember asking my mom to teach me how to play it on the piano.  My mom would sit next to me and slowly started teaching me the right hand melody.  I only learned the first few lines....I still have those lines memorized.   I feel like this song still applies so well to what I am trying to be...I am still trying to be like Jesus.

No comments :

Post a Comment