April 8, 2009

Choose Your Own Adventure....

I choose my adventures one moment at a time....here is just one of my wonderful adventures.

This afternoon I decided to venture out to the grocery store. I ask the kids before we go if they need to go potty, I am the only one that goes. They have a little babysitting area upfront for kids from 3-8 years old and so I thought I would drop off #1 Girl and #2 Boy. #2 Boy  finds out and insists that he does not want to go to the play area. As I approach the grocery store there are different carts lined up...which one do you choose?
A. the regular cart
B. the two layered cart
C. the humongous cart with the car on the front
....
I chose C the humongous cart that has the car on the front. It is not my favorite but I figured it might keep #3 Girl entertained while shopping. I let #1 Girl and #2 Boy 'drive' with #3 Girl in the basket and #4 Boy in his car seat on top of the cart. I swing the beastly thing to the door to discard at least one of my older children only to find out that they are full and the next child doesn't have to leave for another 30 minutes... change of plan... all four kids get to go on our adventure together. As we walk we have people stopping to stare and others make comments. Some of the comments, "Wow!!" "You are already full!" "Four?! Are they twins? You must be a saint!" "I don't know how you do it with four. I can't do it with just one!"
After I complete my list of things to pick up (except a couple that I didn't want to go hunting for) I head to the check out stand. The isles aren't very big so the cart barely fits. I start loading my groceries on the conveyor belt. As I start, my children want to climb out and help. I ask them to stay in the cart since it will be faster and easier without their help.  #2 Boy is already out and about half away through getting my groceries on the belt  #2 Boy starts to do the 'potty dance' and announcing, "I can't hold it." At the exact same time the cashier is trying to get help to finish the person's order in front of mine. I am closed in from behind. What do you choose?
A. Clean off the belt and try to squeeze your way out
B. Leave the stuff on the belt and ask if you can come back in just a minute
C. Tell your 3 year old son to get back in the car and hold it
D. Ask the cashier to start ringing you up while you run to the bathroom
E. Ask the person behind you to watch your other three kids and your stuff while you run your 3 year old to the bathroom
....
I Chose C. I told  #2 Boy to get back in the car and make it wait!

He had calmed down after and I was able to complete the transaction without the 'potty dance' or screams of 'I can't hold it.' As I am leaving the store with my newly purchased stuff I have to make the next decision.... what do you choose to do?
A. Leave the cart outside of the bathroom and take all the kids in
B. Ask the customer service to watch your groceries and take the kids in with you
C. Ask Son if he needs to go still and hope he can hold it until he gets home
D. Take groceries and kids out to the car, unload groceries, keep kids and go back inside to the bathroom hoping Son can wait that long
....
I Chose B...almost. As I was waiting for the customer service I decided to try C. So I asked  #2 Boy if he needed to go still and he said he was ok and could make it home.

He did make it home and even helped me bring in the groceries. As we were finishing I told the kids they could have an obedient bean after they took their coats and shoes off. Just after saying that I look into the kitchen to see  #2 Boy doing the potty dance and trying to decide what he should do first ....What would you choose?

A. Take shoes off
B. Get an obedient bean
C. Go up to the bathroom
...
Unfortunately,  #2 Boy chose B and got an obedient bean...let's just say shortly after he chose A but never did choose C.
___
These are the "Adventures" that I get to choose from daily!

No comments :

Post a Comment