December 4, 2013

Child of God - Prayer

This morning I was in charge of our Primary Presidency Meeting Thought.  I shared some of the following thoughts.
This coming year topic for primary is "I am a Child of God."

We each have the sacred blessing to help the children know that they are each a child of God.
As I continued to read from the Sharing Time manual it states, "You can help the children understand their divine identity, purpose, and potential. You can help them increase their faith in Jesus Christ and their testimony of our Heavenly Father’s plan for them. And you can give them hope for their future and strengthen their desire to stay on the path back to our Heavenly Father."

I realized that if we can help the children understand that ONE concept that the rest fall into place.  All those other things are understood if we can just help them know that they are each a child of God.
I shared an experience I had with #1 Girl.  She was upset and annoyed with something a few months back.  I started feeling upset and annoyed also.  It got to the point that I knew I needed to pray to Heavenly Father.  After I had prayed #1 Girl was still acting upset, but I was feeling calm.  I asked her what she could do to be calm, but she couldn't come up with an answer.  She was annoyed at the world and that was that.  I told her how I had prayed to Heavenly Father and that it helped me feel peace, that it might also help her.  I encouraged her to pray, knowing that Heavenly Father would listen and comfort her.  After she prayed she was calm and able to deal with life.  Over the next few days when there was ANY contention in the house #1 Girl would quietly disappear into her room, say a prayer and emerge.  As things calmed down, #1 Girl would tell me how prayer had worked the first time and continued to make a difference each time.
These are the things I want my children to know.  Even if no one else seems to be able to help you, Heavenly Father can!
I watch with delight each time Dad walks in the door and the children run to him.  They wrap their arms around him and start spilling their guts about what has gone on that day...the good and the bad.  Then later, as I asked my children to prayer, I watch them complain, not wanting to do it.  I try to remind them that it is their Heavenly Father and that he wants to hear from them.  He loves them and wants them to tell Him about their day. 
I pray that some day that understanding will be in bedded in each of my children.  That they will come to KNOW Heavenly Father as THEIR father!

No comments :

Post a Comment