November 10, 2010

Rainbows

This weeks learning topic was rainbows.  We decided that it would be good to go on a rainbow hunt at Costco and Wegmans for school.  Yes, mom REALLY needed to do some grocery shopping.  We had fun talking about what colors make a rainbow, finding those colors in order and seeing all the different colors that are on one box.  While I unloaded groceries #2 Boy and #4 Boy made rainbow necklaces.  We were talking about it in the car and I told #2 Boy that we could probably put the Fruit Loops on a thread.  He asked what thread was and I explained it was the string type stuff that I use when I do my sewing.  As I unloaded some groceries, I look up to see #2 Boy hauling my whole sewing machine down the stairs!  I stopped unloading and found some yarn instead.  #2 Boy did his in a pattern the same as the regular rainbows.  (When #1 Girl got home she told me she wanted to make one of those for her date on Saturday.  When I told her she could do one that afternoon she was delighted!)
#2 Boy with his rainbow necklace

 I had a bunch of different ideas lined up for today.  But, some of them just got rejected.  We listened to a few different songs about rainbows.  I love that this theme fit so nicely with some church songs and themes.  Two of the songs were church songs: When I am Baptized and Primary Colors.  We also watched a youtube video of a Rainbow Connection.
#2 Boy with his flower and lion (on the table) that he made out of Flexi-straws which is basically string with wax on them.

#2 Boy and #4 Boy painting an underwater scene

#4 Boy has started to use scissors.  He only cuts the edge of papers but it is something.  He cut my Weekly Words paper.  I wasn't as happy about that as I was about him working on cutting out the mallets.

#2 Boy colored, cut out, and pasted together his rainbow xylophone 

#2 Boy learning the primary colors mixed together make secondary colors

#2 Boy taping together his book about Noah and the symbol of the rainbow.    We made the book open up in a row and he was so excited.  He told me it was just like one of the books that the music teacher in Primary has.  This also shows his xylophone and #5 Boy hanging out through it all.

No comments :

Post a Comment